Blog 2

On September 4th, we took a charter bus to Yingge. Our first stop of the day was the Yingge Ceramics Museum. We had free reign over what we wanted to check out, so I visited the special plant ash glaze exhibition on the 3rd floor. I enjoyed familiarizing myself with the intricacies of ceramic craft and gained a newfound respect for ceramists. The piece that struck me most was an unglazed clay vase with rust-like marks around it from when the artist tied a triangular club rush around it before firing. The overall form of the piece was simple, and the additional touch of color gave the piece elegance. Additionally, something I often need help with in design is getting out of my head and overthinking the design when the energy I put into worrying could be used to actually make things. I like to experiment, but sometimes perfectionism seeps into even the lowest-fidelity experiments. While I do not know the details of the artist’s process in making this piece, I appreciate that this experiment of wrapping a plant around clay reminds me to be less uptight in my work.

After the ceramic museum, we went to Tai-Hwa Pottery Factory. Upon stepping inside, we were met with rows and rows of stunning pottery pieces. First, we went upstairs and painted on a cup and plate. On the way there, we spotted artisans painting complicated designs on pottery. I painted a cat on the cup and attempted to paint an abstract biome pattern on the plate! I found that the paint dried quickly, so I particularly respect the artisans for having mastered the paint.


So far in Taiwan, I’ve noticed a heavy emphasis on convenience, as shown through the convenience stores all over, how many shops sell convenient goods (ex: umbrellas, socks, cosmetics), and general ease-of-use in systems such as the MRT. Also, there is a connotation with the word factory that it is inherently industrial. Yet, the pottery factory betrays both this value of convenience and the stereotypical idea of a factory. Prioritizing quality, artists take time to create high-quality work, using only their hands. It was refreshing to see traditional craft on a larger scale at the Tai-Hwa Pottery Factory. I wonder how I can further engage with similar quality-focused makers back in Seattle!

Later, we toured the factory, and at the end of the tour, we saw the greatest crystal-glazed vase in the world. The technique used to create the vase is no longer in practice, as all the artisans who knew the technique have passed away. It was a sad but inevitable reminder that traditions come and go, and knowledge is gained and lost with each life. Although we may not spend a long time learning traditional crafts, I’m excited for the weeks to come and the craft workshops we will attend. As I learn more about traditional crafts and techniques, I hope to continue their legacy by implementing them into my design, however subtle it may be.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1

Blog 5

Blog 3