Blog 3

On 9/7, I took the HSR to Miaoli to hang out with my friends Amanda, Irene, and Lana. When I got there, we did some karaoke and Amanda’s mom peeled a pomelo and put it on my head.

They brought me to a Ramune Soda Factory, which I didn’t realize until the tour started because I had only been told that we were going to a “soda marble” place. On the first floor, there were traditional games that included marbles, such as one where you need to hold onto a railing to not slip on marble and another where you shoot marbles to hit targets. We spent some time playing the games before the tour. Unfortunately, I didn’t pick up as much as I would have liked during the tour due to my limited Chinese vocabulary, but I did learn that the English were the first to invent soda, but it was Japan that ultimately invented Ramune. The tour guide was very engaging and she even taught us how to perform a magic trick.

Then, it was time to try putting together a bottle of Ramune. First, we put in sugar syrup up to the bottom line of the bottle. Afterward, we went to fill the bottles with soda in a machine. We had to add soda then carbonation then soda then carbonation many times before we flipped the bottle and removed it from the machine. Ultimately, I only filled up the bottle twice, because I ended up getting too full from the first one. While the history of Ramune was interesting, I found it more interesting that this is a popular tourist activity in Taiwan. I found souvenirs of the drink all the way in Tainan when this is an activity that seems to only be in Miaoli. The Ramune bottles in Taiwan were also distinct from the Japanese kind, I wonder if the current Ramune bottle design in Taiwan is reflective of the design of Ramune before Japanese rule ended in Taiwan.


After the Ramune factory, we went back to my friend’s place in Miaoli and stopped by a water fountain to grab some drinking water. In Seattle, there isn’t any need to go elsewhere to get water because we have access to water in our homes—a privilege I don’t consider often enough. I’ve noticed too that shower water in Taiwan is hard and usually leaves my hair feeling dry. I’m not well-versed in water systems, but it would be fascinating to learn more about the differences between the water systems in Taiwan and Seattle. Also, something Amanda said later in the day was that she doesn’t like to drink water because it doesn’t have flavor. I had never heard anyone say this before and it felt sort of absurd to me, but I wonder if this difference in water quality plays a role in her opinion on water.

Later that day, we headed out again to visit a temple. In the temple, we greeted everyone by putting our hands together and saying “Amitabha” in Chinese. We drank some plum juice and ate 平安麵 (“peace noodles”). It is important to finish the noodles because they are blessed, so I poured some water into the bowl after I finished eating and drank it to leave nothing behind. My hunch is that this tradition is tied to some proverb or story, but I am curious as to what it may be. Even a search on Google doesn’t tell me what it may be.

Lastly, I went to the hot springs with Amanda and her family. The place was beautiful, and it was particularly relaxing when it started to rain. The warmth of the water mixed with the rain made me feel nostalgic for a memory I never had. Afterward, Amanda’s mom took me to a goose restaurant, where I tried goose for the first time. The texture was like a duck but less chewy, with a flavor reminiscent of chicken. Also, Amanda’s mom mentioned that I look like someone from the Qing Dynasty, which I thought was very interesting, especially since the dynasty was founded by the Manchu—an ethnic group I have no relation to.


All in all, I had a very full, enriching day. I hadn’t had much of a chance to experience less rural parts of Taiwan, and greatly appreciated the guidance of my friends in helping me experience the joys of the place to the fullest.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Blog 1

Blog 5